Friday, September 25, 2009

Pet Peeve, Husband Style

Here is something that annoys the shit out of me. I travel for work with some frequency. One 3 day, 2 night trip a month, and then occasionally (about every 6-8 weeks) an overnight trip. As I said before, Dave is a wonderful guy and I love him. With that as a backdrop, I am comfortable saying that when I got home the other night I could have cheerfully killed him.

Let me set the stage: I arrive at 7:30 pm from the airport. Bedtime for Elizabeth is 7:30, bedtime for Maddie is 8:15. They have had breakfast for dinner (bacon, pancakes, scrambled eggs). Fine so far - we do that once a week. I walk in the door, kids yelling, dog barking, suitcase banging into my thigh - all good. After I spend some time with the girls and put them to bed I go downstairs to the kitchen. Here's what I find:

Kitchen table, plates, silver and glassware cleared...to the counter. Table not wiped, still with syrup drips congealed on the surface. But hey - he "cleared the table," right? It gets better. Pancake skillet still on the stove. Dishwasher running. BUT! The sink is still full of dishes. WTF? A little investigation shows that he took out about 1/2 of the clean dishes from the dishwasher and put them away. Then, he haphazardly put another few from dinner into the dishwasher, right next to the CLEAN ones he was too "busy" to put away. So, in his mind, he gets credit for "cleaning up," but I've got just about as much to do in the kitchen as if he'd never touched a thing. Talk about getting your ticket punched. I DO love him...but he didn't get any that night, that's for damn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment